Kazakhstan to make documentary film about Aral Sea crisis

Kazakhstan to make documentary film about Aral Sea crisis

Kazakhstan is planning to make a film about the problems of the Aral Sea called ‘Return of the Sea’. Viktor Vilkovsky will be the director of the popular science documentary film. He is already preparing for shooting. The documentary is expected to receive government funding following the second pitching. 

The film’s narrative begins with the moment the continents moved, when the Sarmatian Sea was still forming and included the Black Sea, the Caspian Sea and the Aral Sea. The producers of the documentary film want to show how this has all been transformed and what is needed to do to stop the environmental disaster. The filmmaker Vilkovsky spoke about this during the Instagram Live session via the film center’s account.

“I have been studying the Aral Sea for a long time, since I was a student. I was educated as a biologist and was fortunate enough to participate in scientific research expeditions to the Aral Sea. Since then, this idea has fascinated me. For about 10 years, I have been working in the film industry, and now I have a good opportunity to implement this project,” Vilkovsky said.

The documentary will be filmed according to a number of standards set by the Netflix company. Vilkovsky expects that the information content of the project should make the film relevant even after 10 years. Another task that the film producers set for themselves is that the documentary should become a tool for educating people about the environment, particularly, in matters of consumption of natural resources.

“Only 30 percent of the water we use is our own, and the remaining 70 percent of water Kazakhstan takes from transboundary rivers. We are very vulnerable in the issue of water, and we need to bring it up now. People need to cultivate a culture of water use and draw attention to this problem. I want this film to be useful,” Vilkovsky said.

To date, a film crew has already been formed and the consultancy support for the project has been agreed upon. The documentary’s camera operator will be the famous Alexander Plotnikov, the winner of the BBC award in the genre of popular science films. Scientific support will be provided by academician Natalya Ogar, who has extensive experience in the Aral Sea topic. Cooperation with the International Fund for Saving the Aral Sea is also envisaged.


Photo: egemen.kz