Celebration of Nauryz in different countries
Nauryz is marked in many places of the world. Our fellow-countrymen held large-scale Nauryz celebrations abroad. People in Poland celebrated Nauryz with songs and dances. The organizers prepared a cultural program for the citizens of the ancient city of Krakow. The festivities included music arrangements played on the dombyra, the traditional Kazakh rope-pulling game and “Kara Zhorga” dance.
AGNIESZKA SLOMIAN, PRESIDENT, POLISH INSTITUTE OF EASTERN INITIATIVES:
- I have been to Kazakhstan several times and I have always wanted to attend Nauryz celebrations, but never managed. When I learned that Nauryz celebrations are held in Krakow this year, I traveled here from another city. I like baursaks very much; I tried pilaf and Nauryz kozhe. Thank you! I congratulate the people of Kazakhstan on Nauryz!
WIESLAW HALUCHA, KAZAKHSTAN’S HONORARY CONSUL IN KRAKOW, POLAND:
- Nauryz day I want to wish for all the national Kazakh people all the best for the whole year, and as the first day, as a tradition says that Nauryz day is the first day, so that the first day will be whole year as this exact day. So I wish you happiness, I wish you luck, I wish you health.
On this holiday, Krakow became the meeting place for many people from Kazakhstan. The holiday of unity and spring renewal was supported by both the Kazakh diaspora members and Kazakh students from other European cities including Prague, Vilnius and Vienna.
LEILA ISSAINOVA-KLIMASINSKA, ORGANIZER:
- I’ve been living in Poland for twelve years. I am originally from Aktobe. I miss my Homeland very much. That’s why we decided to recreate a small piece of Kazakhstan in Europe. We have gathered guests from all over Poland and beyond. I wish my fellow countrymen happiness and joy. We preserve our culture and traditions here and we remember who we are and where we are from. We are proud to be Kazakhs. Happy Nauryz!
Tbilisi’s historic center hosted celebrations that lasted for a week. Kazakh diaspora members, who have lived in sunny Georgia for many years, presented the national traditions and customs to the locals. Georgian singers made a traditional polyphonic interpretation of some of the Kazakh songs.
SALTANAT MUKHTAROVA, ORGANIZER:
- Nauryz is certainly a significant holiday in Kazakhstan. That’s why we decided to organize such event for our fellow-countrymen. People from other countries where Nauryz is also celebrated gathered here as well. They are Azerbaijans, Uzbeks, Kyrgyz, Turkmens and other nations. And we have also invited our Georgian friends to show them how we celebrate Nauryz.
Festive Nauryz celebrations were also held in the capital of Latvia. Riga’s main market, one of the oldest and biggest in Europe, has turned into a bazaar for one day. The market was full of vibrant traditional costumes and crafted pieces, aroma of spices and seasonings and various festive foods. The spring celebration was marked by music and dance performances of people from various countries of the world. People from Kazakhstan, Tatarstan, Bashkortostan, Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan, Turkey and India presented their traditions and culture.
ANNA VLADOVA, MEMBER OF RIGA CITY COUNCIL:
- The four-hour concert is certainly the highlight of today’s celebration. Members of Central Asian diasporas performed at the concert. Singers and dance crews presented their cultures.
Creative performances and national foods of Kazakhstan were very popular at the festival of friendship.
AINURA MUTALLYAPOVA, MEMBER OF KAZAKH DIASPORA:
- Nauryz kozhe was certainly served. It should definitely be served in any Kazakh family. Baursaks, samsa, our shelpeks were served and we performed a shashu ritual. This ritual is held at any celebration.
The event organizers hope that Nauryz celebration will be held in Riga annually and that the Spring Holiday will become a good tradition.